Despite much opposition from other government agencies and leaders, the U.S. Department of Transportation will auction off takeoff and landing time slots to New York City-area air travelers flying out of JFK, LaGuardia and Newark airports. The Bush administration believes that airport slot auctions could help reduce air delays and increase the quality of air travel for fliers.
- Department of Transportation to auction off airport landing, takeoff time slots
- Experiment to take place at JFK, LaGuardia and Newark airports
- 10% of air travel could one day be auctioned
- DoT claims slot auctions will reduce delays, lower fares
- Opposed by GAO, David Paterson, Jon Corzine